Tuesday, September 07, 2010

MANNO RESPONDS TO LENETT'S ATTACKS

From Friends of Roger Manno:

Today, Roger Manno issued a response to the divisive and deceitful
campaign attacks launched by Mike Lenett over Labor Day Weekend.

"Over the weekend, Mike Lenett published a website, paid for by his
campaign that contains hateful and deceitful personal attacks on me and
my family," said Manno. "But, the worst part is that Lenett uses my name
to distort the truth and in a way that conjures racial and ethnic
undertones that are clearly designed to scare voters. In 2002, I changed
my name from "Rajah" to Roger (I often think that, being born in
California in the 1960's I'm lucky I wasn't named "Flower."). I have
been called Roger all my life and made it official at that time. Yet
Lenett would have you believe that I led a secret and undesirable life
under the name Rajah that I hid from people."

Manno continued--"In addition, Mike Lenett has sent out 3 mailings
suggesting that I am soft on gang violence and gun control. The truth is
that I strongly support gun control, and I strongly oppose gang
violence. In fact, when I was a child, I was a victim of both domestic
and gang violence. That's very painful, even today. I am shocked that
Mike Lenett would sink this low."

Lenett's site also contains a copy of a campaign mailer that he has sent
to District 19 voters. "This mailer was carefully designed to trick
voters into thinking that these false allegations have all been
previously published about me and reported on in newspaper articles.
Furthermore, my ethics forms are up to date and accurate. This is
absolutely a lie and it is extremely deceptive," Stated Manno.

"Mike Lenett's actions over the last few weeks are a desperate attempt
by him to retain the State Senate seat. He has taken Montgomery County
politics into the gutter like no other candidate before him. Today, I
call upon Mike Lenett to do the right thing and remove this website and
stop these deceitful attacks", said Roger Manno. Attached to this
release is an additional personal statement issued by Roger Manno that
tells his story.

TODAY, COMMUNITY LEADERS HAVE SPOKEN OUT ON THIS ISSUE

Montgomery County Council Vice President, Valerie Ervin "It has been
said that 'The truth will set you free.' Some believe that telling the
truth allows the suffering to speak. Telling the truth is an action.
Mike Lenett needs to take action and stop the lies and hate directed at
Delegate Roger Manno and his family. The residents of District 19 have
had enough and they deserve better. Delegate Roger Manno has been one of
the most powerful, truthful and articulate voices that have represented
Montgomery County in Annapolis. It's time to stand up for the truth and
elect Roger Manno as the next Senator from District 19."

Delegate Brian Feldman, Montgomery County "In the closing days of a
campaign, voters deserve to hear why you belong in office. In the final
days of this campaign, Mike Lenett has instead chosen to attack Roger
Manno and his wife. Attacking a candidate's spouse--especially when
she's accused of nothing illegal or unethical--is a line that should not
be crossed in a political campaign."

Delegate Susan Lee, Montgomery County "Mike Lenett is a lawyer. He knows
how to document a case and he knows the difference between facts and
innuendo. But you don't have to be a lawyer to know that sending out a
mail piece with fake newspaper headlines is something no reputable
campaign would ever do. Launching racially provocative attacks is
something no reputable campaign would ever do. This is a new low in
Montgomery County politics."

Former State Senator, Len Teitelbaum "This is a terrible distortion of
facts, and a clear indication of the desperation of Lenett's campaign.
This kind of extreme divisive behavior is exactly why every former
elected legislator from District 19 who has endorsed, and the Gazette
and Washington Post newspapers, have ALL endorsed Roger Manno for State
Senate."

Delegate Hank Heller "This is the Mike Lenett I know. He distorts the
facts and does what he wants to get his way. Last Session Lenett amended
a bill he authored to make it conform to a portion of the Speaker's
'Safe Schools Act' and then claimed the Speaker used his language
verbatim. The fact that Roger Manno legally and publicly changed his
name a decade ago is not relevant to this election and is a desperate
unscrupulous attempt by Lenett to deceive voters. Mike Lenett continues
to misrepresent the facts time and time again."

Behnam Dayanim, former president of Kemp Mill Civic Association "I have
known Roger Manno for many years and worked with him on many issues in
our district and in our Kemp Mill community. Roger is a person of great
character and integrity and someone who I know cares deeply about our
community. That is why I stand by him and endorse him to be our next
State Senator."

Alec Stone, Community Activist "As Rosh HaShana approaches and we
reflect on the past year's words and deeds, Mike Lennett should be
ashamed of his campaign's personal attacks on Roger Manno--as well as
those against Roger's mother and wife. These racial and religious
undertones are the worst kind of hateful, negative campaigning. Roger
brings people together, listens to our concerns, and fights for our
issues. It is that kind of leadership that will make Roger an
outstanding State Senator for District 19."

For more information, or to "Check the Facts" please visit
http://www.rogermanno.com

I AM ROGER MANNO AND THIS IS MY STORY

I was born in California in 1966 during a turbulent period of war in
Vietnam and the civil rights movement. My dad, John Manno, was a
sculptor and carpenter. My mom, Beatrice Scheinbaum, was a student
studying for her doctorate in psychology. We didn't have money, but we
were a happy family. We moved to Manhattan in 1971 to be closer to
family. We didn't have health insurance when my Dad had a heart attack.
He ended up in St. Vincent's Hospital for several months.

During that period, I was diagnosed with an arterial defect and
scheduled for emergency open-heart surgery at a teaching hospital. My
mom was completely distraught, but we had the fortune to find a local
doctor to treat me without surgery and without charging us a cent. The
day that my dad was released, he had a massive heart attack and died. He
was 50--I was not quite 7. Dad's death left my beautiful young mother
and me in a place in life that is extremely difficult to speak about
even to this day.

For nearly a year after my Dad's death, my Uncle Basil began to fill
that void in my life. He took me fishing, for long walks, and helped me
to heal. Then one night, less than a year after my Dad's death, my uncle
died unexpectedly from internal bleeding. He was 49--I was 7.

Mom was scared and alone to fend for herself and her young child in a
world that can be very unforgiving. When I was about 8, Mom remarried.
But before long, her new husband became extremely abusive, both verbally
and physically. Fights and police calls became a regular occurrence in
our home. I remember a night he had my mother pinned to the floor and
was punching her face. When I jumped on his back with my little arms
around his neck, he flipped me over and punched me in the face--knocking
me clear across the room. I remember being covered in blood and shaking
from shock for hours.

That marriage, which I have chosen to forget, lasted less than 3 years.
On so many occasions, Mom tried to get away. And each time I cried
because despite the abuse, I had just lost Dad and my Uncle Basil and I
didn't want to lose another Dad. I remember the day Mom finally filed
for divorce. I decided I would never take abuse from anyone again.

At about 10 years old, I was an extremely sad and broken little boy. I
began running around the streets of New York and getting into trouble.
Mom tried to control me, and I regret every day of the hell that I put
her through.

At about 12 years old, I ran away from home. Mom heard of a young man
who ran a local youth program who had the reputation of saving young
souls: John Pettinato. When John finally found me, I was in rough shape.
Every few days, he would show up. Gradually, I began to trust him and he
took me under his wing.

Soon I entered a group home in upstate New York. I remember thinking
that as bad as it was, it was better than the streets of New York. When
I returned to New York, John continued to look out for me. He became the
Dad I never really had. A few years later he married my Mom and adopted
me as his son.

As a kid, I saw friends killed in the streets. I was shot at several
times and an older teenager held a gun to my head with one bullet put
randomly in the chamber and pulled the trigger. At age 14, I was stabbed
and nearly died from blood loss. I am extremely lucky to be alive.

Later that same year my life finally started to turn around. I met my
wife, Marge. I got a job bussing tables and I found the only thing in
life that had ever given me peace and solace: art. I was drawn to New
York's vibrant music and eclectic art scene. In fact, several friends
and classmates came out of that scene and made it very big as musicians,
sculptors, and actors. For the most part, their art reflected the
realities and challenges of New York life and carried a deep social and
moralistic message which really sunk in. When I got older, a man I knew
from the youth center--we used to call him "The Judge"--took me under
his wing. He was a judge in Juvenile Court and it's because of him that
I got my law degree.

I started working in schools with severely challenged kids who were
living many of the horrors that I had lived. Then I was selected to be a
White House Intern. I went through a vigorous Secret Service background
check--the first of many security checks in my career. Since then, I've
worked as a Counsel and Legislative Director for members of Congress,
worked for the Gore campaign and yes--even ran for office.

And although my Mom is Jewish and my Dad was an atheist, I was born
"Rajah Manno." (I often think that, being born in California in the
1960's I'm lucky I wasn't named "Flower.") When my step-father adopted
me, I took his last name "Pettinato" as my middle name. When my Uncle
Morty changed his name to "Joel," I decided to change my name to
"Roger"--which I had often been called throughout life, and which I
always liked. Looking back, I'm proud of the life that my wife and I
have built. I have had it tougher than most, but I have persevered and
we love each other. It's because of this life--the people I've seen
hurt, the horrors and triumphs, and the challenges I overcame--that I
fight so hard for people I represent.

That's my story. It's not a secret. Mike Lenett knows my history; he's
researched it thoroughly, including extensive research on my loved ones.
Yet Mike Lenett chose to take that story and twist it into something
unrecognizable. That's the Mike Lenett we've come to know in Annapolis.
It's why we need a new State Senator, and it's why a great number of
leaders from our community have asked me to step up.

Sincerely,
Roger Manno

Authorized by Friends of Roger Manno, Sandra Zimmet, Treasurer / Anne
Ambler, Chair

No comments: